Recommendations for getting pregnant
When you decide to get pregnant, you need to lead a particularly healthy lifestyle. These are our recommendations on how to do it:
- Avoid taking any kind of drug. Drugs include alcohol, cigarettes and caffeine. Although a glass of wine or beer will not affect your fertility, if you have too much of these substances it could end up having a negative effect.
- Keep fit and watch your weight. You should be fit and within your normal weight, because once you get pregnant the baby will put a great deal of strain on your body. What is more, at this time in your life exercise can help reduce the stress of not getting pregnant as soon as you'd hoped.
- Eat healthily. If you control your diet from the beginning, at the time of conception your baby can take the nutrients they need to develop and ensure a successful pregnancy. A healthy diet must include plenty of fruit and vegetables, and try to reduce your intake of saturated fats.
- Be particularly careful about taking medicines. Some medicines can cause uterine contractions or have other contraindications so, if in doubt, it is best to check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Take vitamin B9. This vitamin is found in folic acid, a very important element that helps prevent anaemia and build cells. Although you can take folic acid in capsule form, it is also found in foods such as asparagus, citrus fruit and pulses, among others.
- Avoid stressful situations. Even if it is something that cannot directly be controlled, stress is a factor that affects fertility. It is often caused by the frustration of not getting pregnant straight away. We therefore recommend that you should be patient. Babies are very clever and they come along when there is order and peace in what is to become their home!